Seal of the City and County of San Francisco
City and County of San Francisco

To view graphic version of this page, refresh this page (F5)

Skip to page body

SFPD Graffit Abatement Program: FAQ


Graffiti Abatement Unit | Frequently Asked Questions | Reward Claim Form

Who can apply for the reward?

Any person who has filed a police report with suspect information that leads to the arrest and conviction of graffiti vandals. To apply for the reward, you will be required to provide the police report number.

What is the amount of the reward?

The City's Graffiti Rewards Fund rewards citizens with $250 for information leading to the arrest and conviction of graffiti vandals.

How do I apply?

You may download the application or pick up the application in person at the following locations:

Director of Public Works
City Hall, Room 348
#1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place
San Francisco 94102

Office of the District Attorney
850 Bryant Street, Third Floor
San Francisco 94103

All San Francisco Police Stations

Is there a deadline for applying?

Applicants must apply for the reward within 90 days of the imposition of the penalty.

Must I disclose my name?

To be eligible for a reward, you must disclose your name and cooperate with law enforcement.

Would I need to testify?

The applicant must be willing to testify as a witness. Your information may be made available to the defense attorney.

Who determines if I receive the graffiti reward?

The District Attorney's Office will make a recommendation to the Director of the Department of Public Works (DPW) to authorize the payment based on the accuracy of the information provided and whether it resulted in a conviction.

When would I receive the reward?

If your claim is accepted, the reward will be granted after the suspect's case is resolved successfully.

How long do graffiti trials usually take?

In some cases, it may take up to a year from the date of the incident before your receive your reward.

How do I report an act of graffiti vandalism in progress?

Call the Police Emergency Number, 9-1-1 and file a police report. Exercise safety, never place yourself at risk by approaching individuals.

How do I report information about graffiti vandalism that already occurred?

Call the Police Non-Emergency telephone number, 415-553-0123, and request to meet with an officer and file a police report.

How do I get more information?

Contact Merle Goldstone at the Department of Public Works, 415-641-2625.

Last updated: 12/9/2009 10:28:53 AM