To view graphic version of this page, refresh this page (F5)

Skip to page body

Police Report

Police Report banner image


If this is an emergency, dial 911
You can make a police report either in person or by calling the non-emergency line (415-553-0123) to have an officer respond to you. You are now able to make some reports via the internet of crimes that occurred anywhere in the City and County of San Francisco.


Filing a Police Report Additional Loss Form
Getting a copy of police report Obtaining a Clearance Report


Filing a Report


There are several ways in which you can make a police report. Many of them can be done online as long as they are not in progress or when there is a known suspect.

The following crimes can be reported online:

Harassing Phone Calls- When you are experiencing annoying calls - with no known suspects; for example, hang-ups or heavy breathing.

Lost Property- When property has disappeared and not stolen. If you think it could have been taken but you have no idea by who, you may enter the report online.

Theft- When property is stolen but there has been no illegal entry or contact by the thief.

Vandalism/Graffiti - The act of changing, modifying or defacing public or private property, including graffiti.

Vehicle Burglary - When property was stolen from a vehicle.

Vehicle Tampering- Tampering with a motor vehicle, including vandalism/graffiti of the vehicle.

Online Report

English | Español | chinese characters | Français


Don't have a computer?

Not a problem. Simply call 3-1-1 (outside of SF, call 415-701-2311). A representative is ready to assist 24 x 7 and can provide language assistance in over 175+ languages.

If you wish to report a crime that occurred in the City and County of San Francisco which is not included in the above listing, you can report:

  • In person with a police officer at your nearest police station.

  • Call Police Non-Emergency at 415-553-0123 and have a police officer come to your location.

return to top



Additional Lost Form

If you want to include information on lost items listed in a police report or you want to add lost items to a police report, download this form and submit it to:

San Franciscisco Police Department
ICSS-Room 475
850 Bryant Street
San Francisco, CA 94103

****Additional Loss Form****

If you are unable to print this form, you may go to your nearest police station to pick one up.


return to top


How do I get a copy of my police report?

Fill out a REPORT REQUEST form and send it with a self-addressed stamped envelope to:

Hall of Justice
Records Bureau
850 Bryant St. #475
San Francisco, CA 94103

If you are unable to print this form, you may go to your nearest police station to pick one up.

You may also go in person to the Records Bureau; Monday thru Friday, 8am to 5pm to obtain your report if available. You will be required to present valid identification.

Obtaining a copy of your police report is FREE.

For questions, please call 415-553-1276

return to top


How do I get a letter of good conduct (Clearance letter for San Francisco County only)?

There are 2 ways to obtain a SFPD Clearance Report:
  1. In person with valid identification during business hours (Monday - Friday, excluding holidays; 8 a.m. - 5p.m.)

  2. By mail with a notarized request.     


Instructions for mail request:

All mail requests for a criminal history/background check must be notarized. If the results of this check are to be released to a third party, a statement to that effect shall be included in the notarized document. It must give the person's legal name, date of birth, and include the number from a valid form of identification such as a driver's license. It should state that you give permission to release the information that you requested to the individual.

Your request must also include all of the following information:

  • Full legal name and all other names you have used.
  • Your correct date of birth and any other D.O.B. you have used.
  • Your correct social security number and any others that you may have used.
  • Your current driver's license or state ID card number.

Your request containing all of the above information must be sent along with a self addressed, stamped envelope to the following address:

San Francisco Police Department
ID Section
850 Bryant St., Room 475
San Francisco, CA 94103


Fee: None

For questions, please call 415-553-1415


return to top

Last updated: 4/3/2014 11:07:52 AM