SFPD Taking Back Unwanted Prescription Drugs April 28
On April 28 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. the San Francisco Police Department and the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) will give the public another opportunity to prevent pill abuse and theft by ridding their homes of potentially dangerous expired, unused, and unwanted prescription drugs. Bring your medications for disposal to any of the 10 district stations. The service is free and anonymous, no questions asked.
Last October, Americans turned in 377,080 pounds—188.5 tons—of prescription drugs at over 5,300 sites operated by the DEA and nearly 4,000 state and local law enforcement partners. In its three previous Take Back events, DEA and its partners took in almost a million pounds—nearly 500 tons—of pills.
This initiative addresses a vital public safety and public health issue. Medicines that languish in home cabinets are highly susceptible to diversion, misuse, and abuse. Rates of prescription drug abuse in the U.S. are alarmingly high, as are the number of accidental poisonings and overdoses due to these drugs. Studies show that a majority of abused prescription drugs are obtained from family and friends, including from the home medicine cabinet. In addition, Americans are now advised that their usual methods for disposing of unused medicines—flushing them down the toilet or throwing them in the trash—both pose potential safety and health hazards.
WE WILL NOT BE ACCEPTING LIQUID MEDICATIONS, INTRA-VENOUS SOLUTIONS, NEEDLES, INHALERS OR PATCH STYLE MEDICATIONS. ILLICIT SUBSTANCES SUCH AS METHAMPHETAMINE, MARIJUANA, ETC ARE NOT PART OF THIS INITIATIVE.
Information is also available at: www.DEA.gov.
- Central Police Station, 766 Vallejo Street. 415-315-2400
- Southern Police Station, 850 Bryant Street. 415-553-1371
- Bayview Police Station, 201 Williams Street. 415-671-2300
- Mission Police Station, 630 Valencia Street. 415-558-5400
- Northern Police Station, 1125 Fillmore Street. 415-614-3400
- Park Police Station, 1899 Waller Street. 415-242-3000
- Richmond Police Station, 461- 6th Avenue. 415-666-8000
- Ingleside Police Station, #1 John V. Young Lane. 415-404-4000
- Taraval Police Station, 2345- 24th Avenue. 415-759-3100
- Tenderloin Police Station, 301 Eddy Street. 415-345-7300