Safe Shopper 2013 - Holiday Season Safety Tips
“The Mayor and SFPD want everyone to have a safe holiday shopping season. We also want all gifts to reach those they are intended for. With that in mind, here are some tips that will help accomplish both. Happy Holidays,” said Chief Suhr.
During this holiday season, the Police Department will be working to enhance safety for residents, visitors, and shoppers. There will be increased foot patrols to shopping areas throughout the city, including the horse/mounted unit, plain clothes officers, and traffic enforcement.
• Remain alert when using electronic devices
• Help avoid vehicle break-ins.
• Leave nothing visible in your car
• Move your vehicle to a different location each time you load packages
• Try to park in a lot where there is an attendant
• Always be alert to your surroundings
• Have your keys in your hand as you approach your vehicle
• Do not overburden yourself with packages and other items.
• Keep packages locked in your trunk while shopping.
• Shop with a companion, especially after dark, whenever possible.
• Keep wallets in hard-to-reach places (front pocket)
• Be wary of anyone causing a distraction in close-quartered places, such as on public transit.
• Carry only the cash and credit cards that you will need
• Keep cash separate from ID and credit cards
• Do not carry your passport or social security card.
• If someone demands your purse or wallet, surrender it as resisting may result in bodily harm
Report anything stolen to police immediately. Additional personal safety tips are available from San Francisco Safety Awareness for Everyone (SAFE) 553-1984, or www.sfsafe.org.